Soccer night… to take-out or not to take-out
Monday night is soccer night for Daniel and it’s always such a challenge to avoid takeout! Nelson leaves work and has about 1.5 hours to pickup Daniel, prepare a hot meal, and make sure the kids have supper before Daniel’s high intensity workout–all before I get home from work.
Takeout would be so much easier, and truth-be-told, sometimes there’s just no other choice, but we prefer to make the meals at home as much as possible.
Quick, cheap, easy and tasty!
This evening, Nelson made a quick stop at the grocery store on his way home and picked up some boneless skinless chicken thighs. Chicken thighs are cheap, juicy, tasty and quick to cook.
A quick way to prepare chicken thighs is to coat them with a super delicious dry spice rub. Remember Emeril’s essence? Bam! It’s so easy to make your own and it’s cheaper than store bought spice mix. You can have your own essence ready in less than two minutes!
Once your spice mix is ready, dip the chicken in olive oil, press it on the spices and add it to your oven-friendly cookware. That’s it! That’s all the prep!
It takes about 45 minutes from raw-to-ready. During the 35 minutes the chicken’s in the oven there’s time to prepare a side dish (or have a glass of wine). Tonight Nelson made rice and I made it home just in time to join the boys for supper.
Busy family life
Family life is busy, but there are so many quick and tasty options for supper time. A little planning and a good inventory of quick easy recipes can often save you from picking up the phone for delivery. Make something easy like this baked chicken thigh recipe, and remember to always eat well, friends!
Quick Weeknight Baked Chicken Thighs
- 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 lemon cut into thin slices
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt (fine)
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 375 °F.
- Mix spices well in a small bowl (unless you’re using store bought).
- Drizzle olive oil around the bottom of oven safe cookware.
- Dip top of chicken thighs in olive oil and press into spices to coat top.
- Place each coated thigh in cookware until all are coated.
- Spread the lemon slices over the chicken thighs.
- Place cookware in hot over and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and serve hot with your favourite side.