Makes pancakes and waffles awesome!
Sunday mornings in our home often involve pancakes or waffles. I’ve tested and modified lots of different recipes because I want our breakfasts to be perfect. In my opinion (and in the family’s opinion), the pancakes and waffles are made using buttermilk. How about homemade?
Forgot to buy buttermilk? How about homemade buttermilk?
But we don’t always remember to buy buttermilk when we go grocery shopping, so I’m sharing a food a food-hack that works as a perfect substitute. Plus, you likely have these two ingredients at home.
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups milk (I used 1% fat)
- In a large measuring cup or small bowl, combine the two ingredients well and let stand for 15 minutes.
- You will see the mixture start to curdle. This is normal and expected.
- After 15, use the milk mixture in your recipe or refrigerate for up to 2 days.