Nelson’s had beans on the brain lately, I think. Beef Chili one day, then, a summer fresh bean salad on another. This fresh take on a typical green salad is perfect for a picnic, as a side with bbq, sharing at a pot luck, or a regular side dish to a meal at home.
Those of you who know me (or are getting to know me through this blog) know that I’m not big on beans (though I wish I liked them more–so healthy). The only way I seem to be ok with them is in soups. I think it’s a texture thing for me (that, and I’ve always been a picky eater — wonder where my little guy gets it from…hmmm?). Anyways, my point is that even I had to try this salad. Everyone who we’ve shared this with has raved about it. I don’t want to miss out on all the excitement. So, I gave it a try! I surprised the heck out of Nelson–especially when I said I liked it! I’m not a full convert to beans–let’s not get all crazy now, but, the dressing was so delicious and fresh that I almost forgot I was eating beans, and had to admit everyone was right.
This salad is colourful and easy to make–it’s a great option if you’re in a hurry. No cooking–just cut-ups and a homemade citrussy (my new word) fresh dressing and voila!
We hope you enjoy this bite of summer!
Fresh Summer Bean Salad
This fresh and citrusy summer bean salad recipe is perfect for a picnic, as a side with bbq, sharing at a pot luck, or for a meal at home.
Author: Nelson Cardoso
Recipe type: Salad
Cuisine: North American
Serves: 8 to 12 Servings
- ½ Olive Oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ tbs brown sugar
- ½ tsp crushed hot red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 can red kidney beans (19 fl oz)
- 1 can white kidney beans (19 fl oz)
- 1 can black beans (19 fl oz)
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 orange bell pepper diced
- ½ green bell pepper diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper - seeded and diced
- ½ red onion diced
- 1 cup of frozen corn niblets
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, sugar, pepper flakes, chili powder and white wine vinegar.
- In a large bowl, add all the remaining ingredients.
- Pour in the dressing.
- Gently mix all the ingredients.
- Refrigerate or serve immediately.