Nelson went grocery shopping the other day and noticed an assortment of melons, on sale, right by the entrance. Mmmm, tempted. He bought one of each before he’d even considered what he’d do with all of it.
As the temperatures rose outdoors, Nelson craved a smoothie and figured he’d make it a melon and strawberry version. Our kids aren’t big on melon, so all that fruit would have been quite a bit for just me and Nelson to get through on our own. Also, it was an excuse to use our melon-baller. Not that it’s required for this recipe…but why not.
Yesterday, Nelson scooped up all the melons and put the melon balls into a freezer bag for the night. Again, you don’t have to use a melon-baller, but the nice little balls of fruit make it easy to portion, and they’re nice to use as a garnish (and photo op).
As much as this smoothie feels like a sweet treat, it’s actually guilt-free and healty. So, go on… enjoy a melon and strawberry smoothie… or two…what the heck, it’s hot outside!
- ½ cup almond milk
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tsp ground flaxseed
- 3 oz frozen watermelon pieces
- 3 oz frozen honeydew melon pieces
- 3 oz frozen cantaloupe pieces
- 3 oz frozen strawberry slices
- 2 tbs honey
- 6 to 8 fresh melon balls for garnish (optional)
- Place all the ingredients in a powerful blender in the listed order.
- Run the blender on high for 2 minutes or until you reach the preferred consistency.
- Pour, garnish and serve immediately... enjoy!