Today we bring you these easy and delicious chocolate salami cookies that are not made with meat. Funny enough, this is a cookie-in-a-cookie kind of cookie. Confused yet? It’s not that complicated, really…
Traditions on a hot day.
What to do when you’re craving a sweet treat but your A/C is down and it’s hot, hot, hot outside and inside? You make no-bake chocolate salami cookies and pour yourself a glass of cold milk… that’s what you do!
Nelson’s mom used to make these for Nelson when he was growing up. They’re super easy to make and you don’t need to heat up the house with any baking. A win-win, especially when the house is at 28°C (ugh!).
I’m sure it was good for Nelson’s mom too, seeing as they don’t have A/C and it gets mighty hot and humid on their island in the Azores. What a great treat to make quickly without working up a sweat.
I sweat more taking the pictures for today’s post than Nelson did making these cookies. I thought I had the easier job! Not today… Not today… [cue the tiny violins]
Springtime in Canada
Here’s what spring looks like around the area we’re from, just North of Toronto. For the past couple of weeks we’ve had some really hot days—unseasonably hot, some days—while during the same timeframe we heard about snowfall in another Province.
Now, for the past few days, the cool temperatures have returned. Today, for instance, we reached a high of about 18°C, though it felt colder. Then, warm sunny days are expected to return by the weekend. What’s up Mother Nature? You’re funny.
You don’t need to wait for hot weather and a broken air conditioner
If you’re looking for a sweet treat to share with family and friends (or not share… if you’re so inclined), give this easy chocolate salami recipe a roll. Of course you don’t have to wrap the cookie roll in butcher paper and string, but I highly recommend it, just for the fun of it.
We enjoyed fooling our own kids with this dessert. They both gave us a look of confusion at first, but once they learned what it was, there was no hesitation. Easy to make. Easy to enjoy. It’s just so easy to eat well, friends.
Portuguese Chocolate Salami Recipe (Salame de Chocolate)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup quality baking cocoa powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 200 g maria cookies (7oz or 32 cookies)
- Add the butter and sugar to your stand mixer bowl with the paddle (the one used for cookie dough) beater connected and beat on medium high until the butter is light in colour and fluffy. You may need to stop the mixer after a bit to scrape down the sides with a spatula.
- Lower the stand mixer to medium and add the egg. Continue mixing until well incorporated.
- Stop the mixer and add the cocoa and salt. Mix on low until well incorporated.
- Add the cookies and mix again on low again until the cookies are broken into small pieces.
- Move the dough to a large piece of plastic wrap.
- Form the dough into a log-like shape. It doesn't have to be perfect at this stage.
- Wrap the plastic wrap over the shaped dough and gently roll until a nice round sausage-like shape is formed. You may have to squeeze in from the ends and roll again.
- Tighten the wrap on the ends and place the formed chocolate salami in the fridge for at least 3 hours, or over night.
- That's it! You can now remove the salami from the fridge and cut evenly shaped wheels to serve to your guests... or to eat on your own 🙂 Enjoy!