We’re super excited to announce that we’re officially Broil King brand ambassadors!
Built in North America (Canada and US), Broil King has a strong history of building durable and well designed BBQs. We put ours together and immediately realized why they’re known for their quality.
Our Broil King Barbecue is a beautiful thing! Nothing on this BBQ looks or feels flimsy. The grids are heavy duty cast iron and double sided for different grilling needs. The main lid, front doors, and burner lid all work smoothly. The igniter works instantly, the inside is well designed for storage, the rotissourie works flawlessly and the BBQ looks gorgeous. We’re gushing about it!
BBQ season? We don’t have just one 🙂
BBQ season for us runs from January 1st to December 31st–every year. In the winter I keep a shovel by our back door just in case I need to shovel a path to the BBQ when we have heavy snowfalls.
Realistically, we do end up grilling more often in the summer, but the truth is that rain and snow don’t deter us much. We’re thrilled that with our new Broil King bbq…grilling just got a whole lot better.
In fact, we finished putting together the BBQ last weekend, and we’ve already used it six times since then.
Speaking of summer… mid July already? Come on!
Yes friends, it feels to us like summer’s flying by too quickly! While we’re looking forward to some vacation time in August, we’re actually not in a hurry to get to it because we don’t want to get to August, or the end of summer, too soon. We want summer to feel as long as possible.
Maybe that’s why we grill all year round; we want to feel that summer vibe again and again.
Portuguese Kebobs. Huh?
What says summer more than an afternoon on the deck enjoying delicious kebobs, fresh salads and cold drinks? We thought a kebob recipe would be a perfect way to introduce our new Broil King Baron™ S590 Barbecue. We were right…if we do say so ourselves!
Why do we call these kebobs Portuguese? We marinated the pork in a wine and garlic (vinho d’alhos) marinade, commonly used in Portugal. We also included Portuguese chouriço on the skewers for a special touch…and yet another excuse to call these Portuguese.
The results definitely didn’t disappoint, The meat was tender, juicy and perfectly flavoured. It doesn’t hurt that we had a brand new fantastic Broil King barbecue to cook it on :-). Look how happy our kebobs look on that grill.
Grab your tongs and go grill up some easy peasy Portuguese kebobs… because it’s grilling season. So, eat kebobs and eat well, friends.
Portuguese Style Pork Kebobs (Espetadas de Porco)
- 3.5 lbs (1.6 kg) pork loin centre cut, cut in cubes (about 1 to 1.5 inches)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Portuguese hot sauce (or tabasco if you can’t find Portuguese hot sauce)
- 1 tbsp Portuguese sweet pepper sauce (optional)
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 tsp course sea salt
- 1 large green bell pepper (stems and seeds removed, and cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 large red bell pepper (stems and seeds removed, and cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1/2 medium cooking onion, (peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 10.6 oz (300g) Portuguese chouriço, cut on a slight angle in 1/4 inch wheels
- 1/2 lemon
- In a bowl, mix together the garlic, paprika, hot sauce, sweet pepper sauce, wine and salt.
- Pour the marinade in a strong and sealable bag.
- Place the pork cubes in the bag with the marinade.
- Remove some of the air from the bag and seal.
- Move the marinade around the pieces of pork to completely coat, and then place the bag in the fridge for at least 4 hours or over night.
- Clean and coat the grids/grates with oil to prevent sticking. You can brush or spray a light coat of canola or vegetable oil.
- Light the BBQ, cover and heat to between 450 ºF and 500 ºF.
- Build your skewers alternating between the pork pieces, red pepper, green pepper, onion and chouriço pieces.
- Place the skewers on the grill and close the lid. Cook for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes.
- Repeat the last step for all four sides.
- Place the skewers on a serving dish and squeeze the lemon over the meat.
- Loosely cover with aluminum foil for about 5 minutes.
- Serve with a fresh salad, rice, roasted potatoes or any other favourite side. Enjoy!