What do you make when it’s summertime but the cool temperature and rain makes it feel like the start of autumn? You make a hot and hearty soup. And that’s just what Nelson did today. Actually, he would have made this even if it was a warm and sunny day, just because he was craving a nice healthy soup.
This really was perfect for the day we had. It truly hit the spot and warmed me up. I’m actually not crazy about beans, but since I was a young child, I’ve always managed to enjoy beans in soups like this–filled with potatoes, carrots, and greens. Maybe that’s why I still love soup like this today; because it brings me back to my childhood. Maybe I just love it because it’s delicious and it’s an easy way to eat healthy.
Nelson loved this one with cheese, but I preferred mine without. We agree on most things, but cheese isn’t one of them.
We hope you enjoy…whatever the weather 😉
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1.5 pound Italian sausage (casings removed and crumbled apart)
- 3 clove garlic minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 28 fl oz diced tomatoes (1 can)
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 38 fl oz red kidney beans (2 cans)
- 2 small zucchini cubed
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp course sea salt
- 10 oz baby spinach (2 small clamshell packages)
- Sharp shredded cheese (optional for adding over each serving)
- In a large pot, brown sausage and garlic in olive oil.
- Add broth, tomatoes, carrots and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add beans with liquid, zucchini and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for another 15 minutes covered.
- Shut off heat, add spinach and replace the lid (it'll look very full, this is okay).
- After 10 minutes, stir and serve hot.
Thalia @ butter and brioche says
What a comforting soup. This definitely is perfect for the Winter here in Australia now. Thanks for the recipe!
Nelson Cardoso says
You’re very welcome. We’ve just entered the summer here, but the weather’s still chilli, so this hit the spot. Take care. I hope you enjoy the soup.