Yes, you read that right! It’s spring, but we just had another (hopefully last) visit from ol’ man winter. The news had warned of some flurries. Well, we got that…and a bit more. It wasn’t at all like a major winter storm, but it was enough for the meteorologist to call a snow advisory and for the drive home to be slower than usual. I might not like it, but this really doesn’t come as a surprise. March can never decide if it wants to be winter or spring–constantly teetering and confusing everyone. We certainly can’t put the shovels or winter boots away just yet. Next is April. Not to sound pessimistic, but we often get one last blast of winter just as soon as we think it’s really over. Surprise!
Well, I say, bring it on! I’m not scared. It doesn’t have to be hot out for us to enjoy a delicious salad. I’ve got spring started right… and it’s right here on my plate.
Load the protein!
I was really in the mood for a salad today but I still wanted some sort of protein in the meal. I considered chicken, but I didn’t feel like cooking. Hmm…tuna! No need to cook canned tuna, right. Maybe an egg too. Well, I guess I had to turn on the stove. But boiling eggs is no biggy. So while the eggs boiled, I did my cutups and made my delicious dressing. I think I could drink that by the cup (weird right…or maybe it’s that good). I love how easy this is to make. Spring mix greens and a quick assembly, and there you have it….springtime on a plate.
Obviously you can change lots of ingredients in the recipe to make it your own. Consider the salad as a canvas for you to add your own favourite colours and textures.
It’s not hot out yet, but we can make believe. I say it’s time to put on the flip-flops, toss up a salad, and eat well, friends!
Tuna, Avocado and Spring Mix Salad
- 140 g (5 oz) spring mix salad
- 1 plum tomato, cut in slices lengthwise
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp carrot, shredded
- 240 g (8.5 oz) solid light tuna in olive oil (replace with tuna in water if preferred)
- 1/2 avocado, cut in long slices
- 1 large egg, boiled and cut in half
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Boil the egg for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Place the spring mix on a serving dish.
- Place the tomatoes evenly over the salad.
- Distribute the onion and carrot evenly over the salad.
- Add chunks of tuna over the salad.
- Place the avocado slices and the two egg halves over the salad.
- Serve with the dressing on the side (feel free to pour the dressing over the salad before you serve if preferred).