For Breakfast, Lunch, or Dinner
Quick trivia: What’s the perfect meal for breakfast, lunch, or dinner? For us, the answer is buttermilk pancakes (with pizza coming in a close second for Nelson and Michael).
So simple. So delicious. So easy. Yes, today we’re sharing our buttermilk pancake recipe.
If you’re like me and you grew up eating the boxed pancake mix, you’re going to be thrilled when you try this.
They say seeing is believing, so on top of our mouth-watering image, we’ve also created a video for this recipe. We’re so excited too.
It’s only our second video, so far (and if you’re curious, check out our first video here).
The addition of videos on our blog is not the only thing that’s changing. Spring has sprung! Spring is such an exciting season–change is never more evident and energizing for me than now.
Flowers sprout from their sleep, leaves start to blossom from their tiny buds, sweet sap flows through maple trees, birds return with their symphony of chirps and tweets, snowfall turns to rain, and the sunshine warms the earth around us.
Uh…sorry…I didn’t mean to get all poetic there, but I really do enjoy this time of change and new life. While I talked a big game at the start of last winter, I actually didn’t get outside as much as I’d thought I would (it’s the same story every year).
So, I guess I’m kind of excited to be coming out of my winter hibernation too. So long winter, it’s time to change things up!
Changing This Up!
These pancakes are perfect as is, but if you want to change things up, this recipe is the perfect base for your creative flair. Want perfect pops of fruit in every bite? Add blueberries to the mix. Want to indulge in some chocolaty goodness? Add some good quality dark chocolate chips. Want to top it with a perfect compote!
Then you’ve got to try our very popular and delicious berry compote. You get the idea here… go wild… or go simple and classic and just enjoy them topped with real maple syrup!
Change can be an amazing thing. Photos & Food is evolving, so stay tuned for more videos and more delicious recipes. We wish you a happy spring. Take in the sunshine and eat well, friends.
Delicious Homemade Buttermilk Pancakes …as fast as boxed mixes!
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted (but not hot)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 2½ cup flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp salt
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Add and whisk liquid ingredients with the eggs.
- Add all the dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Pour liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix gently until combined. You’ll still see a few flour lumps. This is okay and recommended. Never over mix.
- Preheat cast iron or non-stick griddle to just a little over medium.
- Once the griddle’s hot, spread one table spoon of vegetable oil on the griddle with a paper towel.
- Pour one or two (if you can fit two pancakes) soup ladles of batter onto the griddle.
- Flip when the top shows bubbles and the edges are no longer wet.
- Cook the other side until light brown and serve hot. Repeat this step until the batter is used up.
- Top with maple syrup, berry compote, fruit, jam or any other preferred toppings
- The listed 2 minute cooking time is for each pancake. Total cooking time depends on how many pancakes you can cook at a time on your griddle or pan.
- Add a little extra buttermilk if the batter is too thick to pour.
- No buttermilk at home? No problem! Search our website for our buttermilk recipe.